Elder Beilman

Elder Beilman

Friday

October 19, 2014

Hey everyone!
This week was really good! I'll start with Conference. So we finally got to watch General Conference this Saturday and Sunday. It was really good! I think I liked the April General Conference a little better, but its still General Conference. You can't go wrong with that. I loved the talk that Elder Jorg Klebingat gave called "Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence". It was a really bold talk, but I loved how straight he was. I kind of like to be bold with people when we teach, because I want them to know that the things we teach are really serious.
Here is a part that I really like:
Embrace voluntary, wholehearted obedience as part of your life. Acknowledge that you cannot love God without also loving His commandments. The Savior’s standard is clear and simple: “If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). Selective obedience brings selective blessings, and choosing something bad over something worse is still choosing wrong. You can’t watch a bad movie and expect to feel virtuous because you did not watch a very bad one. Faithful observance of some commandments doesn’t justify neglecting others. Abraham Lincoln rightly said, “When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad” (in William H. Herndon and Jesse William Weik, Herndon’s Lincoln: The True Story of a Great Life, 3 vols. [1889], 3:439).

Also, do the right things for the right reasons. The Lord, who “requireth the heart and a willing mind” (D&C 64:34) and who “is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (D&C 33:1), knows why you go to church—whether you are present in body only or truly worshipping. You can’t sing on Sunday, “O Babylon, O Babylon, [I] bid thee farewell” and then seek or tolerate its company again moments later (“Ye Elders of Israel,” Hymns, no. 319). Remember that casualness in spiritual matters never was happiness. Make the Church and the restored gospel your whole life, not just a part of your outward or social life. Choosing this day whom you will serve is lip service only—until you actually live accordingly (see Joshua 24:15). Spiritual confidence increases when you are truly striving, for the right reasons, to live a consecrated life in spite of your imperfections!

I like how he talks about a willing heart and a willing mind. I read a talk called the 4th Missionary by Lawrence E. Corbridge and in it he talks about serving because you want to serve and not because its what you're "supposed to do." We should all be willing and wanting to keep all the commandments because that is how we will find true happiness and blessings that we would receive because we want to keep the commandments.

We have a new investigator, Niko, and he is really awesome. He is 18 years old and plays rugby with a member on Saturdays(how he got in contact with the church). So the member playing rugby with him invited him to take the lessons and had us go over and visit him. He seems really interested and is way nice.
We have another investigator that hasn't been really progressing lately, and we were thinking about dropping her, but we felt like we needed to invite her to baptism-and she accepted it! It was really amazing. She started reading the Book of Mormon and I think that is what really changed her. I'm grateful for that book and I can't wait to help her progress towards baptism.

Well thanks for everything!
Loloma Levu!
Elder Beilman